The Swedish Publishers’ Association (SvF) is a trade organisation for the Swedish book-publishing industry. We work to promote an open and free book market with space for new publishers to establish themselves and to grow.
Our members are professional publishers whose output spans every genre and format. They represent both the largest publishing houses and the smaller, literary publishers, as well as textbook publishers, business-to-business companies and library publishers. The 61 members of the Swedish Publishers’ Association currently account for around 70% of sales in the industry.
Ensuring the future of publishing in a market facing major and exciting challenges requires a shared forum where our members can combine their individual objectives with active lobbying work.
The core purpose of the association is to promote the shared interests of its members.We support our members by:
- working actively to monitor and uphold the interests of the member companies in contact with politicians, authorities, organisations and the media
- providing legal expertise and advice
- developing unique and detailed industry statistics
- analysing growth in the industry
- monitoring trends and technological advances
- publishing reports
- working in the arena of copyright and freedom of the press
- influencing politicians and the public on issues concerning the status of books, reading and freedom of speech
- lobbying internationally to influence legislation that concerns the industry
- promoting, defending and boosting the role and position of publishers in all relevant contexts
In 1989, the association founded the annual August Prize, one of Sweden’s most prestigious and high-profile literary awards. The aim of the book prize is to reward and highlight the best new books in Sweden each year. The Little August Prize is a writing competition for young people aged 16-20, launched in 1994 with a view to increasing young people’s interest in reading and encouraging them to write their own material.
You are welcome to get in touch with us here at the office. Find our contact details here.
About the Publishing statistics
Since 1973/74 the Swedish Publishers’ Association has produced detailed statistics on the publishing of general literature by its member businesses and sales of these publications to various categories of retailers and direct from publishers to consumers. As publishing statistics, the figures relate solely to publications and trade sales to retailers, but not to retail sales.
As these statistics are confined to general literature and to publishers that are members of the association, they do not provide a complete picture, but they can still give a good idea of the overall trends in the Swedish book market over time.
For more information please contact
Kristina Ahlinder, CEO, Swedish Publishers’ Association
+46 70 769 8445, email@example.com